Ultralight tarp / cape combo with great protection; now 15% lighter
The Gatewood Cape is now 15% lighter! With a lighter canopy material Six Moon Designs has cut the weight by 2 ounces. The pack volume has also been reduced by 40%. Since its introduction in 2006, the Gatewood Cape has been carried over hundreds of thousands of trail miles. It's been used to provide shelter from everything including high mountain snow-choked ridges to lush forest trails. It's the ONLY Tarp / Rain Gear that provides complete 360-degree protection when worn as a cape or used as a shelter. Unlike ponchos, capes don't have long slits along the sides. While the poncho may allow for more ventilation, it does little to keep out windblown rain. Dual zipper pulls on the front of the Gatewood Cape allow you to regulate ventilation while still providing full protection. Plus, the open skirted design allows fresh air to enter the bottom.
As a shelter, the Gatewood Cape provides significantly enhanced protection when compared to your typical poncho/tarp. Its sturdy pyramid design easily sheds rain or snow and wind simply flows around it. Any sudden change in wind direction in the middle of the night won't leave you scrambling to re-orient your shelter or force you deeper into your bivy. Unlike a traditional tarp, the Gatewood Cape is shaped to eliminate all exposed sides -- leaving you safe and secure.
With 35 square feet of coverage under the shelter's canopy, you've got plenty of room for you and your gear. Depending upon conditions, you can even adjust the vestibule to different heights to increase ventilation. A long zipper on the vestibule makes opening and closing the shelter a snap.
For added bug protection the Gatewood Cape mates with the Serenity NetTent (sold separately). Together they keep both the rain and bugs at bay, providing you with secure and comfortable space.
Color may vary slightly from what is shown above. Pole and stakes sold separately.
Six Moon Designs
11 oz - 310 g (Weight does not include stakes or pole)
Tent Pole Type:
Requires one trekking pole or one 49" or 45" pole for setup (sold separately)
10" x 8" x 1.5"
• Includes tarp, stuff sack, and guylines
- Stakes and poles not included
- Requires 6 stakes
- Micro Buckles connect harness to cape for easy installation and removal.
- Full 360-degree protection, whether set up as a shelter or worn as rain gear.
- Full Zippered Entrance makes entering and exiting the shelter a snap.
- Adjustable Vestibule Height allows you to increase ventilation while maintaining adequate rain protection.
- Side Snaps for shortening the long sides when worn as a cape.
- Floating Canopy allows the canopy to be set to different heights depending upon conditions.
- Integrated Map / Night Stash Pocket with zipper closure to keep stuff contained. Pocket also doubles as the stuff sack.
- Center Pole Support significantly improves the ability of the shelter to handle wind and snow loads.
- Ultralight Waterproof Canopy is made from high strength 30 denier Silicone Nylon.
- Extremely Easy Setup requires only six stakes.
- Mates with the Serenity NetTent (sold separately)
Please note, this tent must be seam-sealed to ensure waterproofness before use. Six Moon recommends Seam Grip SIL - Silicone Tent Sealant (not included).