70 liter technical hiking pack
Hyperlite channeled Edward Abbey when they designed their 4400 Southwest pack. Made for desert rats, this burly beast works perfectly for the longest, most inhospitable, arid trails or bushwhacking adventures. Though similar to Hyperlite's 4400 Windrider, they replaced mesh outer pockets that snag on brush and Manzanita with solid Dyneema® Hardline exterior pockets. Use this big-volume expedition pack for multi-adventure travels to the most remote regions of the world where resupplies are infrequent. Other excellent uses for this pack include extended winter hikes or family trips where the kiddos aren’t yet carrying their own gear. Made from 100% waterproof Dyneema® Composite Fabrics (formerly Cuben Fiber) and with additional elastic frame sheet support for extra load carrying capacity, this ultralight backpack is highly durable and weatherproof. Organize and further protect your clothes, gear and sleeping bag from bad weather using Hyperlite Stuff Sacks.
Please note, Hyperlite is phasing out the grommets on the weep holes of their pack pockets. This product may ship with or without grommets. For more info, see the Tech Specs & Features section.
Hyperlite Mountain Gear
Interior: 2400 cu. in. | External: 600 cu. in. | Center pocket: 300 cu. in. | Side pockets: 150 cu. in.
Interior: 70L | External: 9.8L
30 - 65 lbs.
2.21 lbs | 35.4 oz | 1003g
Top Circumference: 45in. (114.3cm)
Bottom Circumference: 37.5in. (95.3)
Height (fully unrolled): 38.5in. (97.8cm)
Back Width: 10.5in. (26.7cm)
• Made in Maine
• Three external, solid Dyneema® Hardline pockets
• Removable, contoured aluminum stays
• Dyneema® Hardline shoulder straps with 3/8in. closed cell foam and spacer mesh
• Internal plastic frame sheet for added back panel support
• 1/4in. foam back panel pad
• Roll-Top closure system with side compression straps for vertical compression
• Side compression straps for horizontal compression
• Top Y-strap compression -- Designed to secure gear
• Dyneema® Hardline dual-density hip belt with 1/8in. closed cell rigid foam, 1/4in. closed cell foam and spacer mesh
• Dyneema® Hardline zippered pockets on hip belt with #5 YKK zipper
• Adjustable sternum strap with self-tensioning elastic
• Ice Axe loop
• Hydro port and internal mesh hydro sleeve
• Four exterior triglide buckles for optional pack accessory straps
• Proprietary seam sealing on all side seams and behind all sewn-on pack features
After a number of internal studies, Hyperlite has decided to remove the metal grommets from the weep holes of their packs. This product may ship with or without the grommet as they are phased out from Hyperlite's inventory.
The grommets were not an essential feature to the weep holes of the pack. Hyperlite has determined there is no physical function of these grommets and they have been merely for aesthetic purposes. Their design and production team has developed a consistent method of precision drilling the holes in the fabric. The heat generated from the friction from this process will seal the edges of the weep holes and eliminate the chance of the fabric fraying. This will now make the holes just as strong as when constructed with grommets.