Western Mountaineering - Flash Vest - Men's
Made in North America.
Western Mountaineering's top-notch construction methods, attention to detail, and years of experience working solely with premium down set them apart from other brands; they are simply one of the world's best down companies, bar none. Based in San Jose, CA, they are committed to manufacturing in the USA and Canada. Their down is sourced from free-range mother geese who are never live-plucked or force-fed.
International Restrictions Apply
Technical specifications & features
|Weight||5 oz (Medium)|
|Shell Material||Lightweight Shell Fabric w/ DWR finish|
|Insulation Type||850+ Fill Down|
|Hood Type||No Hood|
|Other Features||- Reflective Trim / Edging
- YKK reversed coil Zipper
- Comfortable as a layer; slides under nearly any jacket
- Please note, special care should be taken to avoid abrading the shell fabric; it is designed to be ultralight and super-compressible. Treat it right and your Flash Vest will provide years of use!
- Incredible vest!
- When I initially bought this vest, I was skeptical about it's functionality. It seemed very thin and I assumed it may not have as much down as advertized. But I was wrong. This vest can make just about any jacket much warmer. I have worn other down vests from reputable companies under my coats when the temperatures have dipped into the single digits to stay warm. But every time, moisture has built up under my vest. I have not experienced that with this vest. And I have found that it is the perfect fit when I wear it under my wool jacket or my wool top coat. When I wear this vest under real wool, the vest and my coat are breathable yet I am able wear them in single digit temperatures and am still completely warm. And I had tried that with a synthetic down vest and a down vest from a very reputable company. I was able to stay warm with those combinations, but moisture would build up in the vest until the point that I would have to dry them out before venturing out into the cold again. But with this vest, I did not experience any of that. And it kept me very warm. Even when I stepped inside of places in which the heat was high, I did not start to sweat when I was using this vest and a wool outer garment. I initially did not think it was worth the price. But if anything happens to this vest, I would quickly buy another one again. And if the price drops this summer, I am going to buy a second one. When the temperature dropped in my home on the cold days this winter and I avoided turning up the heat, I felt toasty when I tossed on this vest. It was a good investment and I will buy more winter gear from Western Mountaineering in the future in hopes their other products will work as well as this one. And this past weekend, I wore it as an outer garment when I went hiking. It was chilly but I felt fine because this vest was keeping my inner core very warm. I am glad I bought this vest and will eventually buy another one.
- works amazingly well in wilderness or city!
- I rely on this in the backcountry, I've worn it to work, and the rest of the time, year 'round, it gets stuffed into whatever I'm carrying for instant emergency warmth. I only wish it were cheaper because I'd have 2 colors--and less wear on only one--by now.
- Fantastic vest but too expensive
- Absolutely fantastic vest with smooth, silky, shell both inside and out, incredible warmth from advanced tech fabric and reduced weight down. Collarless design lets you use this vest with almost any selection of clothing. But price is way too high.
- sharp looking and wonderfully lightweight
- Incredibly lightweight and remarkably warm for the significantly reduced down content. The microfiber fabric is amazing in it's capacity for heat retention. I like the slightly subdued sheen and smooth feel to this fabric both inside and outside shell. Hopefully the price will come down and more colors will be available next season.
- little vest big warmth
- A nice ultralight piece for cool weather activities. Perfect for with or without an outer shell. Extremely light and easy to pack, I enjoy using this product on cool mornings and evening when backpacking.
Related Blog Posts
- Product Reviews
- Questions & Answers