Questions on Ultralite
- From Jordan at 9/26/11 11:59 AM
- The short bag is rated at 5' 6". How long are the Regular and Long versions? As I am 6', what version would I need?
- Thanks for the question Jordan. The regular length is 6', and long is 6'6". If you're exactly six feet tall, then you could really go either way (6' or 6'6"). The 6' bag will save a few ounces, but there will be no room in the foot box for your water bottle and fuel canister if the temps drop below freezing. If you go with the long, you'll have enough space to protect cold sensitive items from the freeze, but leaving that extra space empty can lead to cold toes.
I recommend trying one of these bags in your local shop. If someone nearby stocks Western Mountaineering, then you should take the time to climb into both sizes and see which you prefer.
Most 6' folks opt for the Long. Thanks Jordan!
- Do you find this question helpful? Yes No
Ask Your Own QuestionBack to the product page
Western Mountaineering - Ultralite
Quick Overview3 seasons of ultimate versatility; 20° F
Western Mountaineering's UltraLite is a versatile 3-season bag that weighs less than some people's backpacking whiskey rations. If your summer bike tour or backpacking trip is going to take you through different climates, the UltraLite is the way to go; its continuous baffles allow you to shift the down on top of you in cold temps, or underneath you when the weather warms up. With a 59 inch shoulder girth and 5 inches of high-lofting 850+ down, this efficient bag is good to 20° F. The full down collar helps to seal in heat around your neck without adding excess bulk, and the full length draft tube seals in heat along the zipper. The total weight of this very compressible package is under 2 lbs, so you can take the UltraLite anywhere.
Like all of Western Mountaineering's bags, the UltraLite is made by hand in San Jose, California.
Winner of the Climbing Magazine Editor's Choice award!
International Restrictions Apply
Manufacturer Western Mountaineering Weight Short: 1 lbs 12 oz / Reg: 1 lbs 13 oz / Long: 1 lbs 15 oz Gender Men's & Unisex Color Blue Made in USA Temp Rating º F 20º F Temp Rating º C -7° C Bag Style Mummy Seasonal Usage Three Season Insulation 850+ Fill Down Fill Weight Short: 15 oz / Reg: 16 oz / Long: 17 oz Bag Shell Material ExtremeLite™ proprietary fabric: extremely high thread count and ultra-lightweight Bag Length Short: 5 ft 6 in / Reg: 6 ft / Long: 6 ft 6 in Bag Stuff Size 7 x 13 in Bag Loft 5 inches Circumference at Chest Short: 59 in / Reg: 59 in / Long: 60 in Circumference at Hips Short: 51 in / Reg: 51 in / Long: 52 in Circumference at Foot Short: 38 in / Reg: 38 in / Long: 38 in Waterproof No Other Features 5.25 inch continuous baffles allow you to shift the down underneath you in warmer temps, or on top of you in cold temps
Full down collar completely surrounds your neck for maximum heat retention
Full-length down-filled draft tube to seal in heat along the zipper
YKK #5 double pull zipper
Stiffening tape along zipper to prevent snags.
Please note, special care should be taken to avoid abrading the shell fabric; it is designed to be ultralight and super-compressible. Treat it right and your UltraLite will provide years of use!
- Product Reviews
- Product Reviews
- great sleeping bag down to freezing temperatures. Review by Silvan L
Value Quality Price
depends what you wear inside the sleeping bag, but I feel comfortable without wearing much down to 0°C. I think there is room for much deeper temperatures (probably -10°C) with cloth-on.
(Posted on 10/1/13)
- Very satisfied Review by Gordon
Price Value Quality
Well designed for comfort, warm, very light and compact when packed - what more could you ask for.
(Posted on 9/10/13)
- Questions and Answers